Velodyne Minvee Review, AKA SPL 800i

 I have a SVS. A rather big one, so why join the Velodyne club?

First of all, I still have my SVS, this was a opportunitistic buy from Circuit City at a manager's price, so I decided why not?

I had been looking for a new sub to augment my SVS, try and fill in the 28-32 Hz region a little better.

With my new Yamaha 663, with 2 subouts, I think I have a better chance of sorting out the sub issue and get more of the addictive thump in the chest bass.


So let me tell you a little more about the Velodyne miniVEE



MiniVee
Specifications MiniVee
Driver: 8" (6.5" piston) forward firing
Kevlar reinforced resin cone
2 ½" dual-layer voice coil
Die-case aluminum basket
Amplifier: 2000 watts Dynamic power,
1000 watts RMS power
High Pass Crossover: 80 Hz (6 dB/octave)
Low Pass Crossover: 40 Hz - 120 Hz (12 dB octave
initial, 48 dB octave ultimate) or
bypass with Subwoofer Direct
Frequency Response: 28 - 120 Hz
Magnet Structure: 204 oz. (12.7 lbs)
Inputs: Gold plated RCA line and speaker
level inputs
Outputs: Line-level, high pass crossover,
80 Hz, 6 dB/octave
Phase Control: 0 or 180 degrees
Protection: Dynamic compression
Dimensions (H/W/D):
(inc. feet, grill and knobs) 10.063" x 10.375" x 12.75"
(27 x 26 x 33 cm)
Warranty:(parts/labor) Three years (electronics)
Five years (drivers)
Weight: 35 lbs. (16 kg.)

This will pass most WAF requirements and when I tried it in the showrooms, there was enough oompphhh in a room which was about 10m by 6m. The screaming lady scene in Transformers when the missles pass behind her had decent impact.

Note:

It is NOT a SVS and size matters,. It will not bring down the house like a larger sub can and it does about 82 db at 28 Hz, which is still quite decent.

Note 2:

This model isn't sold locally but there are small subs from Velodyne which are. The main differences is related to the DSP function, the remote control and the microphone for adjustings and settings.

These allow for some savings and a street price of USD 699 to 799.

I found one in a small store in Florida going for a nice discount and after enlisting some help, I decided I had enough baggage space and weight for the purchase to be feasible.

Will report more once I return and it is set up along with my Yam 663 and the other stuff...



*** the Velodyne support thread in AVS ***

Just ask Curt C who is from Velodyne:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=304306




I have been playing tricks on people coming to my home recently...

I show them the room, and I point to the miniVee and finally stop at the SVS where usually the remark is "Wah! So big!"

Then we sit down and playback some movies...

So we try the usual gamut of the XP demo disc, ID4 on Blu Ray and Die Hard 4
All hard hitting pieces.

So in the middle of the introduction to ID 4 when the space ship first rumbles over the moon, usually someone says, 'nice bass' pity the subwoofer is so large'...

Then I point to the power button on the SVS and tell them, 'its switched off....'

Thats usually when they get up and start looking very intently at the MiniVee in much more detail. This pocket rocket can be helding in your arms (although at 16kg, you amy not do it for long)

It goes deep (28hz for real) and as a sealed sub, it also does wonders for music and integrates well with my main speakers, keeping up in music too.

I would say the miniVee 10 is a better balance for HT and music, but I ain't complaining... smile.gif


I have no financial interest or other interests in any of the items / events I write about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KEF LS 50 Meta review and comparison with the LS50

Dynaudio Heritage Special Speaker Review

Setting Up A Mesh Network In Your Home - tips and links